Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

Humility

Yesterday, I began listening to a two part series C.J. Mahaney preached on Humility. About two summers ago I read his book entitled "Humility: True Greatness" and was very impacted by it. However, I always need refreshing on this topic!!!

As I listened to the first CD again this morning, I began to jot down some of the quotes and ideas that C.J. was offering. I thought I would post a few of them for ya'll to read, in hopes that it will also encourage you. (However, I highly recommend that you take the time to listen through the cds! It won't take long and it will be well worth your time!)

His three main points in the first session, The One to Whom I Will Look, are:

The Perils of Pride

Pride = essence of all sin

God hates pride more than we hate anything! Pride is when sinful humans aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence on God.

Jerry Bridges writes: "Pride lifts up the heart against God. It contends for supremacy with Him."

One thought Mr. Mahaney offered (which I paraphrase) that I found very helpful is:
Pride has one end - to rob God of His glory by pursuing self glorification and contending for supremacy with God.

The Promise of Humility

It is possible to admire humility while remaining proud.

We need to recognize that pride is our greatest enemy, but humility is our greatest friend.

Everyday we need to ask ourselves these two questions:

How can I weaken my pride?
How can I cultivate humility?

The Purpose of Application

C.J. Mahaney offered several ways to seek after humility in the next year.

"Ways to tremble at God's word":

1. Study the attributes of God

Specifically study His incommunicable attributes. (Attributes He doesn't share with us; like omnipresence, omniscience, etc...)

Read: "The Character of God: Incommunicable Attributes" in either "Systematic Theology" or "Bible Doctrine" by Wayne Grudem.

2. Each day survey the wondrous cross on which my Savior died.

A quote that C.J. shared by Dr. Henry, when asked how he stayed humble over his ministry: "How can anyone be arrogant when he stands beside the cross?"

Read:
"The Cross of Christ" by John Stott
"The Atonement" by Leon Morris

3. Study the Doctrines of Grace

You cannot stay proud when you understand that from which you were saved and the work Christ did on your behalf!

Read: "Saved by Grace" by Anthony Hoekema

4. Study the Doctrine of Sin

Read:
"The Enemy Within" by Kris Lundgaard
"Temptation and Sin" by John Owen



1 comments:

Solange said...

Michelle, I really enjoyed talking to you at the baby shower!!! Could you email me your mailing address please. Here is my email godyoume@msn.com God Bless you

Related Posts with Thumbnails