Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

True Religion

"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."
James 1:26-27

As I have been studying for my bible study tonight, I have been reminded of the importance to pray about what ministry activities I involve myself in. Am I choosing the ministries that God wants me to participate in?

The author of the bible study book we are going through is Susan Heck. In this week's chapter, one of the last questions she asks is:

"What activities are you involved in that are merely external with no inner spiritual significance? Which activities actually show true religion? (Examples: visiting the fatherless and widows, keeping your tongue bridled, and keeping yourself unspotted from the world.) What should be added and subtracted from your weekly round of "religious" activities in order to align yourself with God's priorities?" (With the Master in the School of Tested Faith, pg. 131).

What good, thought provoking questions these are! Am I actively working on taming my tongue? Do I set aside time to grow in holiness or do I spend all of my "free time" seeking to serve in various ministries, while neglecting my own spiritual growth? Do I seek to minister to widows and orphans? Also, in today's culture, there are many children who, although they have biological parents, have no one who is influencing them with the gospel. Are there children who we can show the love of Christ to? If you have children, what a great opportunity to allow your children to help you serve and witness to other unbelieving children in the neighborhood!!!

I definitely need to put some thought and prayer into these questions myself. Already there is a widow coming to mind whom I could reach out to. :-)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reach out to widows? Maybe take them out to lunch? Or??? I would love to get feedback on this! Please comment!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails