Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

Yummy Food

Meals this week have been simple and we tried a new recipe that we've loved and made TWICE! The Mexican Style Salmon Patties that I mentioned we were going to try were a total hit! Except, ours didn't stay as patties and became just a salmon heap. Either way, they were delicious! One recipe lasted us two-three meals... and then another half batch from last night lasted us for dinner and my lunch today.

Here is Kyle's plate from last night... salmon, broiled squash, and leftover cornbread. All three of these turned into one big heap on his plate and was delicious! (And cheap!)

Something else that has been a hit for me is a recipe for oatmeal porridge that my friend Cassandra gave me. I'm not sure where the recipe originated, but my guess is Nourishing Traditions.

Oatmeal Porridge

1 c. grains (oats) ( I use gluten free oats)
1 c. warm water + 2 tbps. whey, yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk

1/2 tsp. sea salt (I don't use salt)
1 c. water
1 tbps. flax seeds (ground)

Soak oats and one cup water, plus two tablespoons of whey overnight or 24 hours. In morning, boil water and add soaked oats. Bring to simmer and add flax seeds.

Now, here's what I add to the oatmeal that makes it simply AMAZING! While the water is boiling, before adding oats, I add one peeled and diced apple, one handful of raisins, and a few dashes of cinnamon. Allow them to boil for a minute or two, softening the apples, then I add in my oatmeal, flax seeds, and a handful of chopped walnuts. Cook until consistency desired, then serve with added honey (and butter if you like; that's how I make Kyle's... with a little added maple syrup on his).

This is by far one of my favorite breakfasts right now and it's so simple and cheap! Woo hoo!


Also, I haven't been able to use a lot of the yogurt that I made a couple weeks ago due to my dairy allergy, however, I've been saving it to extract the whey from the top to soak my grains in. Well, last night I decided to go ahead and separate the yogurt from the whey (which makes cream cheese) and then I could more easily access my whey.

My yogurt is in the cloth and that is the whey that dripped out overnight. Inside the cloth is now a thickened "cream cheese," which sadly, I cannot eat. :-(

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have a mason jar full of whey in our fridge as we speak from making cream cheese. What a bummer you can't enjoy it, but at least Kyle might be able to.

Amy said...

Hey! I forgot you had a blog! Ok, that oatmeal look super yummy! Good job!

Michelle said...

Stephanie - you make whey too? Awesome! Do you have a source for raw milk in Texas? I think it is still legal there to sell it. In Kentucky you have to get it through a co-op... and we're not apart of one... so I just get the closest thing to it.

Amy - Hey girl! I forget a lot of blogs too! I hope you enjoy the oatmeal if you try it... I've really enjoyed experimenting with it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails