Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

Friendly Brunch Casserole


Last Saturday we helped some friends move into their new apartment here in Louisville. They have just moved up to come to Southern Seminary. We are very excited to have them here with us!

For breakfast that morning I made a new breakfast casserole to take over. I took a recipe from my new Taste of Home cookbook and tweaked it to meet our diary free needs. Click here for the original recipe. For those of you who know me well, you know that I normally will not eat pork. However, this recipe called for real bacon so I decided to bend and buy some... but only nitrate-free, non-hormone pumped bacon from Whole Foods. I bought 4 slices. Yet, when I cooked them, since I don't really know how to cook it, I burned it... :-( So I had to come up with a quick second option... I had some chicken breakfast sausage in the fridge and used that instead... but the bacon grease was still good so I was able to use that to cook it in.

My Version:

Friendly Brunch Casserole

1/2 lbs. Bacon or Sausage
1 medium chopped Onion
1 medium chopped Bell pepper
12 eggs
1 cup Rice Milk
1 package (16oz. ) Frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, or sausage until browned. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. In the same skillet, saute
the onion and bell pepper in drippings until tender; remove.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk. Stir in hash browns, salt, pepper, onion and bell peppers, and reserved bacon or sausage.


Transfer to a greased 13x9 in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.

Related Posts with Thumbnails