Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

GRACE

I took this picture this morning about 6:30... it's so pretty here at night and in the early morning hours! All the buildings are lit up around the JBowl (seminary lawn).

*ok... and if you're wondering why the lawn is called the "JBowl"... here's a little fun background of the school... legend has it that there was a class once that was studying Josephus and it was so difficult that after the class was over, all the students went to the seminary lawn and buried their textbooks. Hence... "JBowl"* :-)

I have now been at Boyce for one week and I'm still loving it! I have been so blessed by my classes and professors already. There are so many stories I could tell.

However, one of the main things that has encouraged me this week happened in my very first counseling class. It was something small, but something that really stood out to me. My professor, Heath Lambert, began our first class with the presentation of the gospel. He told us that it was his conviction to do that and that there was no reason for him to believe that everyone sitting in our classroom was saved. Just because we are attending a seminary does not mean that we are a christian. Now, some people may be offended by that. But I was intrigued and encouraged by it. It's true!!! You always hear testimonies of people who thought they were saved all growing up, yet the Lord did not reveal their lostness to them until adulthood.

How Prof. Lambert went about presenting the gospel was fascinating! Ya'll may have already seen this presentation used... but it was new for me. He used the acronym GRACE.

God
Rebellion
Atonement
Conversion
Eternal Life

There is also a mini acronym under C which is:

Content
Agree
Trust

So he began his presentation with God, who God is, the fact that He is holy, and that we are separated from Him because of our sins. Then he explained that each one of us has rebellion to God within our hearts. None of us can bring any righteousness to the table of salvation! We are "dead in our trespasses and sins." However, there was an atonement made, once for all, by Jesus Christ, through His death on the cross. He then elaborated on Christ's work on our behalf. Next comes conversion. However, in order to have conversion, there are three elementary aspects that need to take place. The person hearing the gospel must know the Content of the gospel, meaning, he must know that he is separated from a holy God due to his sin and that only by receiving the atoning work of Christ, he can be saved. He must then agree with that knowledge. However, finally, he must trust in Christ. Once a person is regenerated by the saving work of Christ, he then has the promise of Eternal life... the joy of living with a risen Savior and worshiping at His feet for eternity! Hallelujah!!! :-)

Simple... yet beautiful!

Well, I'm off to class... I've got to go learn how to relate to the staff at a church... haha! :-)

1 comments:

Jessica said...

haha, well I have to admit that blue scrubs are better than teal scrubs! Yeah for being a nurse!

Anyway, great post...I like the JBowl story and that is a awesome way to present the gospel! I don't think I've seen that before..

And it was so good talking to you too! October just can't come fast enough :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails