Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

Herb Roasted Chicken

Tonight I ventured out and tried roasting my chicken for the first time ever! I had high hopes and wasn't disappointed! I started by checking out blogs for ideas/recipes, then I googled recipes, and finally, I consulted my Better Homes and Garden cookbook. I gleaned ideas, cooking times/temps, from all sources and then decided to wing it and try my own conglomeration of them all with my own touches. Here's how it turned out:


I started with a hormone/antibiotic free chicken from Whole Foods that I got on sale. I cleaned out the insides, rinsed it, and placed it in a baking dish.


Next I rubbed the chicken down with olive oil on the top and bottom, turning it over and back. Then I made a rub consisting of: 2-3 tbps. softened butter, 1/2 tbps. thyme, 1/2 tbps. rosemary, 1/2 tbps. basil, 1/2 tbps. salt (maybe a little less) and about 7-8 cloves of garlic, minced. I mixed it all together into a thick rub and then proceeded to massage it into the chicken. At first, I placed it on the outside of the skin (shown in picture) but then I read that it should go under the skin to prevent burning. I scraped it all off and shoved it up under the breast skin, and left it on the outside everywhere else.


Next, I covered the chicken with foil to prevent burning and drying out, however, leaving "breathing room." Then, place it in a preheated oven at 375 for 2 hours with cover. At about an hour I took it out, scooped up the juices, and coated the chicken in them, to prevent drying. After the two hours I took it out of the oven, took off the foil, and placed it back in for about 20 more minutes. I don't have a thermometer so I just cut into the breast and made sure it was not pink.

Ta-da!!!! Here's our yummy bird that we enjoyed for dinner. The taste was amazing, rich, and perfect! Kyle and I both rated it at a 10 for moistness and flavor.

For dinner I added a salad and sauteed cabbage. (btw... I tried sauteing the cabbage in coconut oil and it added great flavor.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wohoooo!! Just what I was looking for as i opened your blog.Thanks! Solange

Anonymous said...

I am making that for dinner soon! I forgot to mention that I really like the design of your blog! way to go girl=)

The Great Adventure said...

I like your blog design! Very cute! I'm so excited to read about this because I just bought a whole chicken the other day and have been wondering what the best way to cook it will be! Now I know what I can try! :-)

Michelle said...

Solange,

Thanks for your encouragement about the blog! I hope the chicken turns out well for you too. Let me know how it goes! :-)

Stacey, I'm glad you like the blog template. I spent a while looking for one that I liked. At some point I'd like to upgrade and have one made, but that may be a while. If you try the chicken recipe, let me know how it goes! I hope it works well for you too.

Anonymous said...

Luke and I are using some of your pointers for our little chicken today. Ours is a little smaller, so we used a little less for the rub. Thanks Michelle!

I hope ours turns out as well as y'all's did!
Kayla

Related Posts with Thumbnails