Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

What's Been A Cookin?

This last week I've been trying some new recipes... some I've made up and some I've followed (or adapted). We've been eating A LOT of squash because one, it's not a starchy food so I can eat it, two, IT'S CHEAP!!! Yay for fall and fall foods! :-)



We've been doing mainly eggs for breakfast because I can't eat much fruit, I'm allergic to dairy (a new find that I've been experimenting with this week... sure enough, whenever I eat milk, yogurt, or cheese, my lips get itching and red, my stomach sometimes hurts, and I get gassy. :-( I'm not very happy about confirming this allergy too! haha... oh well! However, butter doesn't seem to bother me. Interesting!) minimal grains, and no potatoes. That being said, breakfast options are few and far between. So I tried creating a Frittata one morning and it turned out good. I put hot sauce on it to give it some flare.

I've been trying to get creative in my cooking since we've gone primarily grain free. I saw a recipe for zucchini spaghetti and so I decided to try it. I tweaked the way the squash is cooked though because I didn't have a lot of time. Instead of soaking the squash and them cooking them to be like noodles, I just sauteed them for a few minutes until they were hot.
Here's our spaghetti with homemade sauce. It was very yummy!

I tried a fun new recipe for a Butternut Squash Pudding. It turned out good but I want to tweak it a little next time. I think I'll add more cinnamon and I did add pecans to my version.

Here is my attempt at a Shepherd's Pie. The "potatoes" are made from steamed cauliflower whipped with butter and milk (before known allergy), leftover spaghetti sauce, and sauteed squash on top. Kyle really liked this meal and kept saying how much he likes potatoes. :-)

Here is it on the plate!
Homemade chicken and squash soup. We were both surprised at how good this turned out! I was trying to use up some leftover broth, chicken, and squash, so I turned it into a soup and it was delicious!

We'll here's a quick overview of what our week's been looking like. Hope you enjoy!

5 comments:

your other Mother said...

Michelle, everything you cooked looks so delicious.It's fun expermenting and trying new food combinations. Chris challeged me tonight to do without sugar for 1 month. I'll probably bite his head off in about 3 days. haha I'm gonna try it.
Pray for me and keep up the good cooking.
I love you (ya'll)

Michelle said...

Mama, you should check out these posts for sugar free stuff...

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/10/preparing-for-the-sugar-free-challenge.html

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/10/lessons-from-history-sugar-is-not-an-essential.html

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/10/results-of-the-sugar-free-challenge.html

Maybe these will inspire you! :0) Love you and keep up the good work! It's worth it to remove the "toxin" of sugar from our bodies. It does so much damage to us!

You should ask Daddy if you will be allowed to use raw honey... it's a much better sweetener for us and even in the future you can substitute it for the bleach, nutrient depleted alternative! :-)

Jessica said...

Wow, you have been doing lots of cooking! Good for you! It all looks super yummy and makes me hungry (especially since today was a long, hard day at work and here it is 9:50 and I haven't had dinner!! ahhh!!) *off to find food*

Anonymous said...

Yes Michelle!! Keep up the good cooking! You inspire me! Thank you =)
Solange

Michelle said...

Thank ya'll for your sweet comments about the food! I love to cook and which I could have ya'll nearby to cook with! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails