Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

One Year Ago Today...


My husband, Kyle, and I celebrated our first year of marriage today! We are so very grateful to the Lord for bringing us together and drawing us to each other. Marriage is always a learning ground and there are so many things to learn about your spouse throughout your lifetime together, and especially in that first year as you live together. Even though I have seen so much of my own sin brought out in marriage, I can still say that being married to my husband Kyle has been even better than I could have ever imagined! God has been so gracious to grant me a husband who so uniquely fits me and I fit him. Our personalities compliment each other so well and we simply love spending every day together. I am so much more in love with him today than I was a year ago and that love only deepens and grows with each day, by God's grace!


We have really sought to focus on doing things together as a couple instead of living two separate lives in the same home. We serve together at church when able, we ride to places together, even if one has to wait on the other, we go to parties together and usually stay home when the other one is unable to go, etc... We also seek to serve each other in small and big ways. Even if that just means leaving a note on the counter, or taking out the trash, or just listening patiently while the other talks about his/her day.

However, all of this is the surface to the underlying desire in each of our hearts to honor and glorify the Lord through our marriage. We seek to serve Him by serving one another. We look to Him for our guidance and strength in our marriage and bring our prayer requests and thanksgivings to Him. He alone is sovereign and the One who created and sustains marriage. Our marriage is a reflection of Him and knowing that helps us to be careful how we walk, talk, and treat each other. We really pursue keeping a short account of sin between each other and we both take the responsibility to initiate asking forgiveness of the other one when we have wronged him/her. One thing that we have found immensely helpful in our marriage is that our church celebrates communion every Sunday morning at the end of our service. It has really helped to create a healthy pattern in our marriage of talking together at the beginning of every week and confessing any outstanding sins that need to be dealt with. We can then start our week fresh, knowing that our consciences are clear between each other.

Learning how to fulfill my role as wife has been such a joy! Kyle is so patient, kind, loving, servant-hearted, wise, discerning, and easy to please, which makes my job so much fun! Yet, there are some days that it has been hard as I have learned many lessons in being self-controlled, putting my husband's needs and wants before my own, learning to serve by keeping the home clean, learning to live as two and not on my own conditions and time-frames, and realizing the impact of my responses and moods on my husband. However, I would not give anything for the lessons that God has taught me and it causes me to only love and hold my husband so much dearer!

We are certainly not perfect, we struggle much with sin, and we know that we have a lot to learn about each other and our marriage but I am so very grateful to the Lord for the grace that He has bestowed on me by giving me such a wonderful husband and how that makes my role as wife to be so fun, fulfilling, and rewarding! I could not be more happy with the life that God has given to us and I absolutely LOVE being Mrs. Roland!


Read Kyle's post about our anniversary here.

2 comments:

Georgia Mama said...

I love your blog. What a wonderful year it has been. I'm praying God will keep blessing ya'll and keep His protective hand on your family. I love you both!

Texas "Mom" said...

Beautifully written!! Praising
God for His Sovereign Design to bring you two together! Dad and I could not be more delighted to have Kyle as that "special man" in our daughter's life!! and another son for us! We love you both!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails