Psalm 127:3-5

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!"

Back to the Basics


So, let me be honest... I've struggled more with food and food prep since being pregnant than ever before in my life! As of January (right before we got pregnant), our family changed to receiving paychecks once a month verses every two weeks. These two things coupled together, have proven to increase my struggle and fight to fix real food on a cheap budget for my family. Also, with the increased need for me to eat more consistently due to being pregnant (high in protein) and both my husband's desire and mine to have healthy, yet yummy snacks around the house to munch on, I've been at a loss as to how to meet these needs and desires.

However, with the realization that in about 4 months my whole world will be changing for the rest of my life, with the addition of our first baby, I realize I've got to get my act together and figure out how to plan out a months worth of food and menus... on a slim budget. It can certainly be done... but it's been so incredibly hard for me to wrap my head around!!! To the point that for the last few months, I've partially given up even trying. Sad to say! Yet, when I look at other young moms, they seem to be able to pull this off... including making necessary changes for their family's allergies and dietary restraints. What does it take???  A lot of planning, dedication, and willingness to be patient as you work it out for your own family. 

So... this post is not about how I'm going to do it... but rather some resources that I've found while seeking how to plan out a month food budget (plus a few fun resources I found while searching). Hope this is helpful to the rest of you. Enjoy!

A look at Some Basics:

Passionate Homemaking - Grocery Budget  - This is very helpful because she breaks everything down to what she buys from each store and food co-op each month. I'm still trying to figure that out as we are members of a food buying club as well.

Keeper of the Home - Grocery Budget

Week of Meal Ideas (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) - from Keeper of the Home's Real Food Makeovers. Here is another family Makeover with helpful ideas, especially when trying to get your hubby to eat more real foods and less processed foods.

I'm sure I've seen this before, but I just came back across Passionate Homemaking's Natural Living 101 Resource List on various things like: soaking/sprouting grains, soaking methods for the dairy intolerant, guide to natural sweeteners, coconut oil benefits, soy, natural skin care products, plus many, many more links.

I've always been scared to trying soaking (except for the soaked/baked oatmeal that I make) because of my dairy/wheat intolerances. How do you soak a store bought mix of gluten free baking flour?

Soaked Spelt/Rye Sourdough Bread - While this sourdough recipe is not gluten free, it is wheat free. Interestingly enough, I've been able to eat spelt flour crackers before, so I'm hoping to try making spelt sourdough bread, in hopes that my body will accept it. How wonderful would that be to find a cheaper bread to make at home that both Kyle and I can eat!


Recipe for canning pickles... something I eventually want to try!

Info on Why Not to Eat Soy products! (Something us diary intolerant people find hard to do when so many dairy free foods in stores are full of soy! Another reason to make things from scratch!) 

Monday Missions Checklist - ok, this is the first time I've seen this list (you may already be familiar with it) but I literally thought "WOW" as I read through her links included on this post. If you're looking for how/where to start with sustainable living/eating healthfully, definitely check out her links here.

Well... this should keep me busy for a while! I've got a lot of planning to do... hopefully it won't be too long before I'm able to post about it.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

You are such a blessing to post all this!! Really. I have been struggling the last few months with sticking to the budget with the food. We are about to start buying through Azure Standard, a local CSA and Beef, Chicken, Raw Milk (not for me) and eggs locally. I really want to keep my grocery shopping to a minimum and be able to stick to the budget. This is TREMENDOUSLY helpful. Thank you!!!

Stephanie said...

By the way, I started on my sourdough starter Sunday night to try my hand at fermented bread. I'll let you know how it goes. Samuel is tolerating it fine...turns out almonds were a pretty big trigger.

Katrina Hilliard said...

I have just started using www.plantoeat.com to meal plan. It is so helpful! You can import recipes, drag & drop them into your calendar, print off a grocery list, etc! The best part...a free 30-day trial to see if you like it!

Thanks for all of the resources...I can't wait to keep learning!

Related Posts with Thumbnails